PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider pilot to a PPL
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2020, 17:09
planesandthings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudestuff
It's good to have a plan. Do you have Australian/New Zealand citizenship or the right to work there? And why do you want to fly gliders first? (There's nothing wrong with that as a plan if you enjoy flying gliders, but don't think it will make beginning a commercial pilot any cheaper!)
Gliding has saved me having to find £10,000-15,000 to do hour building as I was accepted to do glider towing because of being a glider pilot. If you play your cards right it can deliver some good savings that regular power pilots mostly have no access to.

Originally Posted by ols500
Ah sorry if you misread, I was planning to move to NZ, but what do you mean with "things may change from January of course"?

"Do you have Australian/New Zealand citizenship or the right to work there? And why do you want to fly gliders first?"

No, I was going to apply for one when I'm older, as a student if I get onto a flight course. I have been flying gliders for two years, it allows me to fly actual aircraft despite being only 16, so it makes me aware of lots of areas in a PPL, such as principles of flight, meteorology, airspace, air law, etc. Also, most importantly, I love it!
It is very hard to get GA flying work in Australia/New Zealand without having personal contacts and I've even seen experienced pilots get their visas denied. Do not bet your life on this, but feel free to PM if you want any further information, I'm Lasham based.