PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson service and sense of responsibility - or lack of it
Old 19th May 2020, 13:22
Bell_ringer

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by aa777888
Don't let the emotional baggage of pre-SFAR R22 and R44 operations cloud your judgement of a modern R44 (or even a modern R22). If you've never flown one go blow a few hundred bucks, get your SFAR 73 sign-off, and put an hour on one. You might be surprised, and I mean that in a good way!
Never been fussed by the early history, it's the ongoing safety funk that permeates the aircraft and those that use them.
Robbie have never managed to master rotor blades, there has been one iteration after the next, each with a new problem as they have tried, and failed, after decades, to produce a safe and reliable component.
I am not disputing that it isn't more challenging to stretch tinfoil over balsa wood , but they should by now have had enough practice.
Their clientele must be less discerning or are just happy with the cost compromise.

I am grateful that they exist, as others have said, they made the entry to civilian pilots much more accessible. My last hour in one was 2015, what a glorious day it was to be rid of that contraption.