PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has Anyone Flown Commercially Lately?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2020, 08:41
edi_local

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had 5 flights in late February/Early March and since then haven't flown. I went out to KUL,via IST with a day stopover in IST, where they were checking temperatures on arrival and departure. Other than that it was all pretty normal. IST was fairly quiet, but then again it wasn't normal peak time and that airport is huge so always seemed quiet to me anyway. A few people wore masks on the flight to KUL, but no more than usual. I noticed staff in masks and gloves at KUL as well as temperature checks on arrival. Cabin crew from my flight were wearing masks walking through the terminal at KUL. A few days later I flew to SIN and it was a bit different. KUL was more or less desserted, lots of cancelled flights to China on the boards. Lots of questions about my travel history and a lot more people wearing masks, but being a flight within Asia, that is quite common to see. I popped a mask on so I didn't look out of place, really.

At the time restrictions on entering SIN were only in place for those who had been to China or who were showing symptoms, neither of whch applied to myself, but temperature checks and travel history questioning were in place at the border. My flight back via IST was cancelled due to an infected passenger being on the plane the night before, so the crew had potentially been exposed, the aircraft flew back to IST empty and I was rerouted on EK, which was a pretty full 777 on both legs and barely anyone wore a mask. SIN was not as quiet as was being reported at the time, I still found it to be a pretty busy terminal, with temperature checkers everywhere, whereas DXB was notably much quieter than usual. I think I had temperatue checks taken while in transit in DXB, but upon arrival into GLA, absolutely nothing was done, not even a single poster about coronavirus was displayed. My flight arrived at the same time as one from Tenerife, which at the time was one of the hotspots. The difference between what I'd seen in other arirports and what I saw at GLA was asotnishing, it was clear the UK wasn't taking anything seriously.