PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2020, 16:41
inOban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Precisely. You agree with everything he says because it's want you want to hear. I'm sure that you could find another pathologist who has a different opinion, but you regard his opinion as definitive.
Actually I agree with some of what he says. But not all. Sweden has had far more cases than Denmark, but the damage to its economy is almost as bad, I read.
While most people can be trusted to behave responsibly, enough cannot to mess it up not just for themselves but for everyone else. The evolutionary pressure to become less severe is a well-known phenomenon (if the disease is killing its host before it has had a chance to infect the next)does not apply here (it famously applied in the early outbreaks of myxamatosis in rabbits). And it was quite clear from the situation in northern Italy that it was quite possible for the health service to be overwhelmed.

But certainly there is an urgent need for other treatments to be restarted. Unfortunately people who should be going to hospital or their gp aren't. And the evidence suggests that very few people get infected in the open air.

Going back to the original thread topic. The airline industry has no inalienable right to exist. It is a service industry, and if the rest of the economy decides it doesn't need to fly so often, so be it. What will be interesting is to discover whether the powers that be take on board the real lesson of our difficulty in putting in place the testing, POE etc needed. Siren voices bad told us that the country could live off services and didn't need a manufacturing base. Hence the frantic search for sources elsewhere.