PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2020, 12:36
inOban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The trouble with relying on people's common sense is that any policy which is common sense to one person seems stupid to another. It all depends on your fundamental political (small p) world view through which you filter everything you see or hear. (Brexit is a good example.) Evidence which fits your views is seen as important and reliable; contrary evidence can be safely ignored as untrustworthy.

BTW this is a real problem throughout science.
​​​​
​​​I am reminded of the old proverbs 'You can take a horse to water but you cannot make him drink' and A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

Remember that some people never get symptoms, but are still infectious, and anyway you are spreading for at least a day before symptoms appear. And although people of working age rarely die, they may get seriously ill, and a proportion are ill for several weeks. Indeed it is quite likely that, because of circulating blood clots, some may have permanent damage to their kidneys, lungs or brain.
Remember also that it is generally accepted that in nearly all countries the published death rate is a gross underestimate, as the poor, on whose services we rely, generally live in conditions where spread is inevitable, and they die untested.

​​​​​Let's consider the examples from a previous post of people who will leap at the chance to restart flying.
Your young person holiday. Well, we saw what happened in Seoul when they reopened the bars, even in a famously well behaved country. One person went for a night out, I think they are still tracking and tracing the contacts.

Your young family. A family group will always be more cautious than an individual. They might go in October. And they will choose self catering, avoiding the hotel dining room.

Business. The major outbreak in Munich began with a business visit from China. A week later the virus had spread right through the Head Office. And many of the first cases in Scotland began with a meeting of Nike managers in Edinburgh. I believe they still don't know which of them brought the virus
Whether or not an individual manager is willing to fly, I think that their insurance company will refuse cover.
​​​​​​
But what do I know. I've only got a Ph,D in molecular biology.