PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VTOL news updates - Australia
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2020, 10:22
robsrich

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Another point of view on Australian tourist flights.

Good news in disguise? For helicopter tourist operators in Australia.

Some interesting comments from a social media source in relation to flying on an airline when undertaking a future holiday after the coronavirus pandemic.

Comment 1. There are two things that I need to know before I'll pay for a ticket again; firstly, if my flight is cancelled then will I get my money back within a reasonable timeframe (not credits, no six month delays etc);and secondly, will my travel insurance cover any costs (including flights) if there is a flare up of Covid-19 that means that my travel has to be cancelled. Unless these happen then I won't be travelling until I'm certain that either case is highly unlikely.

Comment 2. A very good point James. I had two visitors from UK stay with me in February. Just before they were due to go home Emirates stopped all flights to Adelaide. They had to pay $5000 just to get home on Qatar via Perth in the end. To my knowledge they are still waiting for any reimbursement for Emirates and of course the Qatar ticket can't be claimed against the travel insurance as it due to a pandemic.

So, who going to risk a repeat of that in a hurry? Not me. I was going to return the visit later this year before all this blew up. No way now. Will be at least 18 months before I even look at it.

My next holiday will be driving somewhere like up the centre of Australia to Darwin.

These comments are very timely as this sounds like an opportunity for the large number of small helicopter operators in remote areas of Australia. Although, their main business is supporting the mustering industry and other aerial work activities of a similar nature; tourism, is claimed, scenic flights keeps them in business – a bit like the straw that broke the camel’s back saying?

But will this change if the proposed Part 138 MOS is introduced whereby the small companies cannot continue their scenic flights until they move up into the legislative nightmare required by the upgrade to the Air Transport legislation.

What are your thoughts?