PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Flight Test spin requirements
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2020, 22:24
By George

Received 74 Likes on 18 Posts
I Think 'Runaway Gun' has hit the nail on the head.In my humble opinion you cannot make one rule to fit all. Stick to the type POH, all aeroplanes capable of spinning are different. The Victa Airtourer is approved for spinning but is a poor example of a standard spin recovery. To start with it is restricted to two turns only. It does not really want to spin and requires a little opposite direction aileron to get it into a fully developed spin, otherwise it just goes into a spiral dive. Harsh full opposite rudder will cause the bloody thing to change direction sometimes. It will recover just by centralising the rudder.Try that in aChipmunk and you will need a mining permit. The Chipmunk, while standard, requires good knowledge and discipline. Full opposite rudder and the stick forward to the stop. It then sometimes 'thinks about it' and can even do one turn faster. ( this caught out a young lass in South Australia from Royal Aero Club who spun into the gasworks at Outer Harbour). Don't have an aft C of G in the Chipmunk either with a heavy person in the back and a light one in the front. The Tiger Moth is the most textbook spin I've witnessed. Then there are aeroplanes that should never be spun. I know of a pilot killed in a AA-5 where the fuel moved to the wing-tips with that funny fuel system and stabilised the spin to a non recovery flat attitude. Some of these new RAA aircraft are proving to be dangerous in a spin. Terry Otway a retired Ansett pilot dying in a Bristell, being a good example. Great bloke and a tragic way to end a long career. Let the Test Pilots who certify the aeroplane do the testing and just follow the POH. I remember reading about the trials and tribulations of the Cessna 162 spinning trials. Very exciting job that one. Spinning is safe if the aeroplane is certified and you follow the rules applicable to that type in the POH.

Last edited by By George; 17th May 2020 at 01:03.