PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin 2.0 to swap A330s and B777s for Boing 787s
Old 16th May 2020, 22:17
ampclamp

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by normanton
I actually think the creditors will be going for every cent they can get. That includes selling the fully owned 777 frames, even if it means they go dirt cheap.
I think they will have that as one of their plans. Cover all possibilities.

I guess it could depend on what the remaining prospective buyers have in mind. We all know international flying will be a long time coming back to anywhere near pre-covid days.

So, despite the 777s being owned, can they justify hanging on to them 'just in case" OS flying opens up?

Keep them in mothballs indefinitely hoping for an improved market, try to sell them soon at fire sale prices into what must be a massively over supplied used airframe market, or hang and sell upon some recovery?

None are ideal by any stretch.

Like most in the industry I think domestic flying should kick off much sooner than OS flying in any scale.

Are new owners interested in OS flying at all? Is a south Pacific bubble really viable and can that justify keeping the 777s to compete with Air NZ and Qantas?

A lot of crystal ball stuff that's beyond me.