PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I get a MacBook Air?
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2020, 17:55
VP959

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Should I get a MacBook Air?

First a plea - can we not turn this into an Apple versus Microsoft debate, please?

Background: I'm a long time Windows user, but my ancient laptop (a Asus Zenbook UX31E, that's ~8 years old) has been running Linux Mint for years. Linux does all I need, as this laptop gets used mainly for surfing the web and email stuff. Having a pretty quiet keyboard has been useful, as I can get away with typing on it, on my lap, whilst my wife's watching TV. I don't need anything particularly fast, but I do like a nice display. My wife's a long-term Apple user, on her third iPad and now also an iMac. We both use iPhones, but I rarely use mine. My main desktop PC gets the most use, and that's still running Windows 7, but that may get replaced by an iMac, if I can make the transition to MacOS.

Given my modest laptop needs, the base model 2020 MacBook Air looks to be a good bet. It seems to have roughly double the processing power of my old i7 Zenbook, and about half the power consumption, with no cooling fan noise (handy). I considered getting an iPad Pro and keyboard (can't get on with touch screen typing), but I don't think it would work well, as we've yet to be able to get any of my wife's iPads to print to our (non-Airprint) network colour laser printer, or file share with our home Linux file server. The iMac is fine with both.

I've watched a few YouTube reviews of the MacBook Air, and it seems pretty good for what I need, but it's really hard to tell (often from someone who's being paid to review something) whether it's really as good as it seems. My main concerns are whether the keyboard is relatively quiet, how hot the thing gets and how comfortable the hand rest area is. Might sound daft, but the Zenbook gets uncomfortably hot after a short time, and when the thing is resting on your legs anything longer than about 30 minutes of use is just too much. Also, the Zenbook has sharp edges where your palms rest, and that also tends to make it uncomfortable to use for any length of time.

If anyone here is a MacBook Air user and can give their honest opinion I'd very much appreciate it.