PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2020, 16:02
adfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PDXCWL45
Didn't KLM try it before and pull out because they weren't getting much onward connecting traffic?
They did indeed. I believe the route did well for them point to point, but I guess the connections are what add extra value for KLM, and with AMS being at capacity it probably made sense to re-allocate the hard to find capacity (AMS had reached the slot limit at the time) to a destination where they would get more onward connecting traffic.

However, I would argue that the situation in the next few months as traffic begins to recover would look somewhat more favourable should they choose to restart AMS-SOU.

- Flybe are no longer flying 4-5 daily flights in competition so they will have 100% of the market rather than ~30-35%.
- Overall demand for air travel is down so the AMS slot situation will have relaxed for the time being.
- I believe the Dutch Govt has also given permission for AMS to grow from 500k to 540k annual ATM's as long as they can achieve their targeted reduction in emissions at the same time. This further lessens any slot concerns in the longer term.
- With slots available KLM could serve AMS-SOU 3x daily, possibly with an overnight stopping aircraft, and this may stimulate additional onward connection demand through offering more and potentially faster options from having the extra frequency.

Will be an interesting one to watch.