PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Flight Test spin requirements
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2020, 09:56
djpil

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Tee Emm
A CPL decides he wants a spinning endorsement. He does the required training in an appropriate aircraft. He is then tested by a pilot with Examiner qualifications to test spinning.
An Examiner has nought to do with granting the spin flight activity endorsement as there is no test. An instructor with a spin training endorsement does it.

Originally Posted by Tee Emm
The purpose of the question was to find out how many turns of a spin would be required to be demonstrated to meet CASA competency requirements.
Originally Posted by Stickshift3000
The Part 61 MOS (excerpt below) is not prescriptive regarding number of turns.

FAE-8.1 – Recover from spin
(b) enter and establish an upright spin;
Yep, and my opinion is that requires getting it into a fully developed spin.

Originally Posted by Stickshift3000
FAE-8.1 – Recover from spin
(h) recover within the number of turns normally required for upright spin recovery in the aircraft type, within the aircraft and height limitations.
Originally Posted by Runaway Gun
My guess is that if the individual aircraft Flight Manual advises that the aircraft recovers within X turns, then that would be the aim.

If the pilot does not recover within that, then they are unlikely to be using the correct inputs, as described by the manual.
That is supported by the underpinning knowledge requirements. Conversely, if a person does not know "spin entry and recovery techniques for the aircraft being flown" and does not demonstrate it in flight then, in my opinion, doesn't meet the standard.

The MOS was supposed to provide "practical competency standards" so why do we need to guess what the standards actually mean?