PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 16th May 2020, 08:07
lederhosen

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The airline specific forums were set up to allow internal informed debate by those verified to be employees. I was surprised that BA does not have one on PPRuNe, indeed three of the nine that I can see are for defunct airlines like Monarch. My constructive suggestion is that for those of you who don't want the rest of us butting in on what is clearly a very important debate you go about setting one up.

My view from the sidelines is that BA is likely to be a winner in the current situation. That does not mean that employment levels will remain as they are. It seems improbable that there is not going to be a serious reduction in flying over the next couple of years. The ideal from the airline's point of view is to solve its resource planning problem in a fair and agreed manner, keeping maximum flexibility for the upturn when it comes. One solution is to encourage those close to retirement particularly on fleets like the 747 to take early retirement. The pension cap/tax actually helps this because the incentive to carry on is reduced. Encouraging as many others to job share, work part time etc. is another obvious thing to do.