PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2020, 06:58
Northern Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The other thing I would just mention here for consideration: Even assuming you could find a job, what will pilot terms and conditions look like post COVID?

It is fair to assume the cost of training will not go down. However, the contract waiting at the far end may be materially different. For some people, the so called "wannabe zombie army" that may not matter, but for the more considered viewers of this forum, I would keep a close eye on how airlines are changing their terms and conditions. There is limited visibility on this yet because most employers are still at the option generation stage. When the cuts start to be announced, they may be very unpalatable.

Speaking from my experience, during training you are excited about flying jets. Once you have been flying for a while you realise that what actually matters (just like any other job) is the life your job allows you to lead, both financially and socially. How much will I have left at the end of the month once I've paid for my flying loan, car, rent etc. How many days off will I have? How much holiday? Will I be able to get a mortgage? The list goes on, but these are the important things.

One other thing to consider which, frankly, because I was young and naive, I did not. The aviation industry, as is being demonstrated with horrible consequence now, is uniquely exposed to the perils of world events. Which basically makes the whole recruitment market for pilots just a big lottery. I feel for the Thomas Cook pilots who having found another job must have been elated, only to immediately be at risk of redundancy again. Or the Flybe pilots who find themselves working at Tesco. Ours is an industry which is always going to be exposed to this kind of thing and while the current situation is without precedent, its worth bearing in mind that working in aviation will, periodically, come with a large dose of stress during major crises. I doubt there is anyone working in aviation at the moment who isn't, on some level, contingency planning in case the worst happens. It is not a pleasant feeling.

Aviation will recover at some point. The world isn't going back to the stone ages. People will still want to fly and go on holiday. But if you are determined to become a pilot it will be more important than ever to do the sums properly and go into it with your eyes open.