PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Impact on Air Travel
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2020, 14:16
spacedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pistonprop
FFMAN, the problem is and has always been not to overwhelm the ability for hospitals etc to deal with a large influx of patients. That's what all the restrictions were/are about. There's no doubt that if society gets back to "normal" there will be an even larger wave just around the corner. The young may survive but may also be off work for weeks*" when infected. The outcome of that will be just as, if not more, catastrophic to the economy. Meanwhile, the old will die in pain at home or along hospital corridors!

** My young neighbours, healthcare workers, both contracted the virus. They were off work for three weeks.
I agree 100% with FFMAN. The long term damage to the economy and the youth is going to take an age to repair. Jobs are disappearing faster now than at any time I remember since the late 70s early 80s. The burden on the welfare state is going to be-enormous. The likes of Willie Walsh even after coming across so badly at the transport select committee, is still steaming ahead with 12000 redundancies plus ripping up terms and conditions. The man has no morales or scruples.

The facts re this virus are unless you have underlying health issues or are elderly the chances of dying is minimal. Get the young fit and healthy back to work. Focus on ways of keeping the old and vulnerable safe. This virus is going nowhere quick and is with us to stay, a effective vaccine may never be found. Society has to move forwards we cannot shut ourselves off and bury our heads in sand hoping it goes away. Who knows what will happen next, it may come back in the winter it may not, we need to work on the premises that it will return in some form or other.

lift the lockdown, forget 14 days quarantine get the planes moving. Let the public decide if they want to travel they are educated and can absorb the information available, making a balanced decision by themselves. If you think the risk is too great stay at home, nobody is forcing you to travel.

The industry is is on its knees and every day that passes without a change of policy the greater the damage. I fear for the many people reliant on the industry for a living. Many companies/handling agents/airlines will not survive. This is a man made tragedy, economic suicide. The government has a lot to answer for, the scientific expert quoting 600000 deaths, failed to follow his own advice. Yes the virus is nasty and unpleasant but nowhere near as bad as what is coming with the recession.

Boris is a lucky man in that he still has 4 years of his term to run. My bet is when the country is in economic ruin in 4 years time with vast areas of the country in poverty. Constituency’s that for the first time in an age voted Tory will revert back to Labour costing the Tories a majority.