PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airliner Avionics
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2020, 22:46
KRviator

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingStone
It actually doesn't. It's got better instruments to fly in nice weather and it's fairly trivial to land any light aircraft without any instruments when you've got a bit of experience, so no need for any serious redundancy. Also, if one instrument doesn't work, you always have a chance at postponing your flying for a day or two, whereas airlines would go bankrupt without a solid MEL dispatch availability. Horses for courses..
Here, you're talking about two different things, capability and reliability.

My RV-9 is, in some ways, more advanced than the latest A350. If something goes out of limits, it won't just go "PING!" and require you to look at the ECAM to find out what went wrong. It will tell you, in your headset "Oil Pressure" or "Electrical Current" or any number of other things. IT has synthetic vision with terrain shading, a glide ring showing what points on the ground I can reach, based on current environment variables, can have touch-screen's installed if I want, displays a geo-referenced position on the visual or approach chart and is interfaced with an electronic circuit breaker system (though, granted the A350 has the last two as well). Another EFIS manufacturer provides for a camera input on which you can superimpose your PFD symbology, allowing a FLIR camera to be fitted for low-light operations.

That being said, while no light single will have autoland capability, I think many folk would be surprised to see the amount of redundancy built in to your typical IFR Experimental. Dual ADAHRS, triple screen (often with a third standby EFIS), dual GNSS and oftentimes dual batteries or alternators as well.