PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airliner Avionics
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2020, 17:47
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wondering
How many airports are CAT III certified? How many airports does GA vs Airlines serve? There is your answer regarding synthetic vision, RNP approach capability etc.

A GA operator will see this situation from a different perspective. Whatīs the use of autoland if over 90% of airports in the world donīt have it? But, you may get lower approach minima with synthetic vision with some CAAs.

I was surprised that the 787 is not certified for RNP approaches. At least not the one I am familiar with. But, then again in the airline world how often do you need to fly an RNP approach?
Actually, not all that rarely. And since airliners can easily get RNP 0.1 certified, not to mention RNP (AR) in many cases, it is actually quite handy to have. The main thing is crew training in that case, training a few thousand pilots to a higher degree of precision is actually quite an undertaking.

Interestingly for something like CAT I LTS (lower than standard) one does not need any new displays, a 35 year old airbus display system is quite enough. And that allows CAT I landings with RVR down to 400m.

But yes, GA operation is of course quite different, as one of the main appeal is being able to get into a lot more airports than the airlines cover, besides the timing of a trip that can be adjusted to personal requirements of the passengers.