PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA to RAF
Thread: BA to RAF
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2020, 17:04
Juan Tugoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chugalug2
JT:-

In what way pray? Just because I've suggested that this initiative is biased towards BA that means that I'm opposed to any UK airline pilots being kept employed thanks to it? How does that work then? As you say, it was devised by the BACC whose remit is to protect BA pilots. In this matter I'm sure that they are in lock-step with BA as it means their pilots will be available again to them when needed rather than having to be made redundant. You may well say that BALPA will ensure that other pilots employed by other airlines will be equally open for selection should the scheme go ahead. My reply would be that all pilots are equal under BALPA, but some are more equal than others. I would strongly suggest that other companies' PLCs start seriously lobbying BALPA now, and not wait around as you suggest to see what comes of it. It would be nice to think that at least some of their pilots might retain their jobs this time instead of the default we are all so used to.
I'm sure they will if it suits them and their respective CCs are on the ball, but good on the BACC for developing an opportunity that may protect some BA pilots and might protect some other company's pilots. But let's not let that get in the way of having a bash at BA and the BACC part of BALPA.

BALPA is made up of the pilots in a company and its up to them to come up with ways of protecting their jobs. Unless those companies are prepared to offer a right to return then this is an irrelevant project as the opportunity to return to the military is there for any one with the right qualifications.