PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot qualification to operate in either pilot’s seat (EASA)
Old 14th May 2020, 12:02
hueyracer

Originally Posted by Apate

What a shame some operators like to live in the dark ages

Wow, you really must have missed out on the CRM course where they taught proper communication.....

I see it from a different point of view:

Yes, you cannot have two "Commanders".
I was referring to two "Captain´s" in the cockpit (read this as "Two company approved and qualified Captains"), of which only one can be PIC.

Think about this:
An operation where both crew members just fulfill the requirements.
A young Captain holding an ATPL, and a young Copilot with his CPL/ATPL-Theory.

Why would you put a young copilot into the PIC seat?
The aircraft manual (at least on the types i fly; not sure about other helicopters) specify which seat is the "PIC-seat" (e.g. on Bell 412, the aircraft is designed to be flown by one Pilot in the RHS).

Therefor-from a safety point of view-it makes all sense to put the Copilot into the left hand seat, and let the Captain fly from the right-agreed?

Then, at a later point-when the copilot has gained experience, knows the area and company procedures, and has seen dozens, if not hundreds of proper approaches, he will also have gained enough hours to be ready for his upgrade training.

This is where either an instructor will fly with him in the right seat (no "seat issue" there), or a Captain with approval to conduct Line training (Line Training Captain).

Why should a pilot who is not a training Captain or an instructor fly in a "Copilot seat"?