PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - German Police Squadron firefighting presentation
Old 13th May 2020, 19:11
Modtro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
German Police Squadron firefighting presentation

Hi all, long time reader here.

Saw this presentation of the German NRW Police Wing unit fire fighting capabilities. Video is in German, from minute 5 there are a few still shots and minute 8 starts a demo flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBNn...LWsl68BSbywqdw

The following details were mentioned during the presentation: Aircraft will be based in Dortmund (425) feet and Düsseldorf (147 feet). Taking off with about 630 lts. of fuel for an endurance of about 2:15. During the first fills only about 500 lts. will be loaded until fuel is burned.

I have no experience with the H145 or knowledge about its performance but the two main things that strike me are:
  • The use of what seems a rather small Bambi for the aircraft (mod. 1821 with 820 lts. / 210 US GAL).
  • The use of a “Bambi operator” standing on the skids secured with a harness.
Having done a bit of firefighting myself in 350B3’s and 412’s I struggle to find the reasoning why I would have an operator in THAT position. I want to think and believe it was for demo only.

That was a first for me and I keep thinking of what could possible go wrong with such a setup.

Maybe someone in the know could share some info on this, is it going to be part standard procedures? Has someone else seen this done like that in any other part of the world?

Thanks in advance!

This is the Google translation of the description in the video:

05/12/2020 - 10:07

Ministry of the Interior of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia

40217 Düsseldorf (ots)

Minister Reul: "The police and fire brigade work hand in hand and with the latest equipment to protect human lives."

The squadron of the North Rhine-Westphalian police presented their new extinguishing containers today (May 12, 2020). They should help the fire brigade to extinguish forest fires from the air. “The police and fire brigade work hand in hand and with the latest equipment to protect human lives. With the new helicopter equipment, we are now the best-equipped police force in Germany in this area, ”said Minister Herbert Reul at the presentation of the so-called“ Bambi Buckets ”.

The extinguishing containers were purchased last year. These are containers that are attached to the outside of the helicopter and filled with water in order to extinguish fires from the air. The country invested 880,000 euros here, including training for the pilots. The "Bambi Buckets" were used for the first time on April 20 in a forest fire near Gummersbach. “It was literally a baptism of fire and a complete success. Only the interplay of the emergency services - the fire brigade as the command and control team in ground fire fighting, the police with helicopters, water cannons and for cordoning off the area of ​​operation, as well as the forest management with their know-how - has led to the forest fires having a good end. This showed once again that such large assignments only work in a team and have a happy ending, ”says Reul.

The number of vegetation fires, i.e. fires in heath, moor, field and forest, is almost twice as high in hot summers as in normal years. 2020 has been warm and dry so far and may be the third exceptionally dry year in a row. North Rhine-Westphalia has therefore planned, among other things, an additional “forest fire module” for each of the 24 fire services, ten water delivery systems for around 11 million euros and 109 new fire engines for civil protection for around 35 million euros. In addition, training courses for fire departments and forest administrations are held on the phenomenon. “You all know about the climatic changes to which we will have to react in the coming years. The 'Bambi Buckets' are an answer to this challenge, ”said Reul.

The squadron of the North Rhine-Westphalian police (radio call Hummel) flies an average of around 2,000 missions per year across North Rhine-Westphalia and is based at Düsseldorf and Dortmund airports. Since 2017, the entire helicopter fleet has been exchanged for six new Airbus H 145 aircraft for around 65 million euros. The crew of a helicopter consists of two pilots and an operator who operates the "Bambi Buckets" and instructs the pilots.

Questions to:

Ministry of the Interior of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia

Telephone: 0211/8712301

E-mail:

http://www.im.nrw.de/

Original content by: Ministry of the Interior of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia, transmitted by news aktuell

Last edited by Senior Pilot; 13th May 2020 at 20:47. Reason: Insert YouTube