PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - a320 ECAM gotcha's
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2020, 08:00
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Reaching my ATPL check ride at about 2500 total, a friendly captain mentioned in a discussion: "That old mantra to Aviate, Navigate, Communicate and Manage the Systems".

That got my attention, before that day I never heard there were 4 elements. Probably not even any time since, including echoes within the PPRuNe. With the technology and inherent procedures of contemporary Airbus, such 4 stepped dance works very well.

One of the ECAM perils is its existence itself if not properly understood. In this respect the necessary repetition of EFATO drills every SIM complicates things a bit on the liveware side, creating a room to form a wrong habit of acting the ECAM lines straight away, instead of thinking first.

A case for my point: How many pilots and airlines you know, who'd say "ECAM action - I have communication". Formally not required and implied by the task sharing rules, but you cannot really fault their urge. Compare that to how many people you know who'd shout "confirm the malfunction"?

With a pencil and paper in hand, reading the FCTM, one can count 7 maybe 9 cognitive steps needed before calling "ECAM ACTIONS". That is my gotcha.

N.B. by definition, if it's on the ECAM it is not a critical task.

FCTM ECAM / ABN PROC trivia:
  • NORMAL OPERATIONS: The first responsibility of the PM is to MONITOR the flight path, the navigation [...]
What is the first responsibility of PM under ABNORMAL OPERATIONS? (closed book question)

Last edited by FlightDetent; 13th May 2020 at 17:56.