PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flyer Magazine to stop print version, digital only.
Old 13th May 2020, 05:40
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also subscribe to the American Flying magazine. As you say, it's getting thinner, but there's still some great content. I also subscribe to their on-line newsletter - more in a moment.

I've tried both the Pilot and Flyer magazine electronic versions. firstly, I'm not inclined to read something on my computer monitor, reading a magazine should be a sofa relaxation (or bed, or wherever you're most comfortable). This for me means a tablet. My venerable 7-year-old 8-inch Samsung is just fine for my morning newspaper but struggles with a page of Flyer. Looks like I'll have to finally retire it and buy a 10.1 inch with higher screen resolution. The plus with the Flyer digital version is that it exactly replicates the now defunct paper version i.e a whole page of content, with the adverts full-page. What REALLY bugs me about the Flying newsletter version is the constant bombardment with ads in the middle of the content - a very American thing, I think, similar to the click-bait 'news' items you get on some e-mail accounts. VERY irritating! I watch the American AOPA News every week. Even that has 'adverts', I suppose to mimic American TV, to make their viewers feel right at home?

Pilot are continuing to publish on paper as well as digitally. Flyer have gone all-digital.

I like reading my newspaper (were going to have to find a new word for it, aren't we?) on my tablet. I went Kindle for my bed-time reading years ago, wouldn't go back to a book, now. Even a small paperback is heavier than a Kindle, and it's more awkward to hold.
The magazine look-alikes don't work on legacy tablets (or kindle, either, probably). A sunlight-readable tablet with good enough definition for a whole page at a time is required, then we can ditch paper magazines.

TOO