PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rex Expanding Into Jets
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2020, 03:23
Colonel_Klink

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Lookleft
There has been a lot of emotionally charged postings on various platforms about Rex giving back the Government subsidy. That subsidy was not the sole preserve of Rex even though they may have been a major beneficiary. I am sure that QLink got some of that money as would Sharp. The domestic jet operators also got a subsidy to maintain a minimum level of service which is also helping Virgin. I don't see anyone suggesting that if Virgin come out of VA that they should pay back the subsidy money. I doubt that Rex are going to be putting any jets on the network until 1) Domestic travel restrictions are lifted and 2) They actually have a HCAOC which is not a tick and flick exercise. I can't see jets happening until at least 12 months.
I agree with the general gist of what you have said here...

But QF and VA haven’t received that government money, and then tapped the shoulders of investors to essentially start a whole new business venture.

And the other thing of concern is the disproportionate amount that Rex has received. If you compare what Rex has received in total subsidies compared to QF and VA in relation to Total revenues, it’s staggering.

I would liken this to QF now coming out and ordering Project Sunrise aircraft.

To be quite honest, this whole thing stinks. Some hard questions need to be asked of the Deputy PM, especially considering the Government doesn’t pick winners or losers.