PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2020, 22:01
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing is king and you need to be realistic about it. Right now, I can't see any significant opportunities for 200-hour beginners until mid-to-late 2022 at the very earliest. I'm actually tempted to say 2023, to err on the safe side. That's all based on interpolation from the numerous forecasts I studied in the past weeks.

How does this translate to you? If you intend on starting tomorrow full-time and finishing it all in 18 months, you will graduate in November 2021. Factor in at least 6 months for job hunting (that's often the case even in good times) - and you will still fall short of the window when significant improvement of the market is likely to happen. If, however, you start in a year from today with the same time to completion - you will likely find yourself in a far better position when you graduate. Or, alternatively, you can start now but space it out some more, aiming to finish by about Christmas 2022 for example.

The question of whether to start anything right now and follow a more spaced-out timeframe or start in a year and do everything in a more condensed manner depends entirely on your personal circumstances. Money? Job? Location? Situation at intended FTO - i.e. can they be trusted with any amount of money upfront or do they look even remotely likely to go under with it? If you start anything anytime soon, will you be able to travel to the training location? Will they have adequate resources to train you in a timely and efficient manner since there's likely to be a backlog on courses which were cut short by the lockdown? Research those questions, and research them very thoroughly. You can only make the right decisions with the right information in hand.