PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ronald Dallas Brett OBE - RAF career
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2020, 21:00
DonClark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After a little more thought...

WWI Airman?

At UK National archives, AIR 78 is the card index of RAF airmen and airwomen from 1918 and access to the digitised roll is always free.
A careful check finds no trace of an RD Brett or Ronald Dallas Brett in AIR 78/21.
Conclusion: not airman.

WWI Officer
The AIR 76 ref is to Officer's Service Records. These are digitised and presently available online at UK National archives, temporarily, as free access.
The only provisos are: 1) you must first register with a valid email, and 2) sensible limits on no of items: 10 per basket, 50 items per month.

Discovery Search on AIR 76/53/165 goes straight to the record.
The image shows a little more detail than LRs linked summary, above, although i
n this case, the form is scarcely legible .
It records only R D Brett (not full names).
With what appears to be a Service no 180249, which if correct indicates RAF entry as an RAF Cadet May to Oct 1918.
Matches the Appts column, which records Cadet Pilot.
The Movements column appears to show:
Entry on 14 Jul 1918, Demob on 10 Dec 1918.

The intervening entries are too dim for my eyes to pick out dates or units, and much of the form is blank.
Whether he qualified as a Pilot I cannot say.
WW I personnel records are a little out of my ground: Officer service nos I thought came much later, but perhaps the Cadet entrants were different.
The Internet Archive Air Force Lists are only for 1919, and my own CD copy is for May 1918, too early.
Malcolm Barrass of Air of Authority may have access to later 1918 issues: he replies readily to enquiry and is also very active at the RAF Commands forum.

So much for "No further information or resource". As The Rules insist that I must not include links or images either, that's about all I can say, FV.
However, good luck with searching.
Farewell