PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA to RAF
Thread: BA to RAF
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2020, 15:56
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Yellow Sun
This has raised its head before, sometime in the 1970s IIRC. Nothing came of it then and; possibly apart from a small number of recent leavers; I would be surprised if anything came of it this time.
YS
LS8C1
Speaking as a current RAF FJ operator I can confirm that this is completely made up.

The problem the RAF currently has with manning is the inability to train aircrew. (Probably worthy of a whole different thread). The training system is running beyond capacity. Therefore unless a BA / VA etc secondee / rejoiner is at a standard to immediately start an Operational Conversion Unit or rejoin straight at the Front Line, then unfortunately I think the best they can hope for is an aviation related ground role.
That’s pretty much what I said at post #8. I would also add that aviation related ground roles would probably only be open to those with some relevant service experience. The last time this sort of scheme was mooted It all fizzled out as just too difficult and of marginal benefit to the service anyway.

Reading the Sky News report, it appears clear that this is a BALPA\BACC initiative (as it was last time). The RAF will listen politely and have a look to see if there’s anything to be had out of it. As has also been pointed out, there’s also the matter of SC\DV to consider. It takes time, money and resource to process people and it’s not something you can easily expedite.

There would have to be real benefit to be gained for the treasury to approve any loan scheme.

YS