PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot qualification to operate in either pilot’s seat (EASA)
Old 12th May 2020, 11:43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot qualification to operate in either pilot’s seat (EASA)

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on the practicalities of complying with ORO.FC.235 Pilot qualification to operate in either pilot’s seat in an EASA mixed-fleet scenario:
Commanders whose duties require them to operate in either pilot seat and carry out the duties of a co-pilot, or commanders required to conduct training or checking duties, shall complete additional training and checking as specified in the operations manual.
[...]

In the case of helicopters, commanders shall also complete their proficiency checks from left- and right-hand seats, on alternate proficiency checks, provided that when the type rating proficiency check is combined with the operator proficiency check the commander completes his/her training or checking from the normally occupied seat.
Given the following:
  • Dual rated pilots
  • Captains are scheduled as copilot approximately 30% of the time
  • OPC combined with type rating proficiency check every 6 months
Would I be correct by interpreting this as:
  • Captains must change seats on alternate checks, because they fly as copilot 30% of the time
  • The seat swapping is on alternate checks on the same aircraft type. Given that alternate types are checked every 6 months, it would end up being:
Type 1 Left Seat
Type 2 Left Seat
Type 1 Right Seat
Type 2 Right Seat
and so on
  • When the check is conducted in the left seat, the training must be done in the right seat - to satisfy the "normally occupied seat" requirement
If anybody is able and willing to share how they are managing the practicalities of this under EASA I would be most grateful!