PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "I'm sorry for losing your aeroplane, sir."
Old 11th May 2020, 10:36
Lingo Dan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I witnessed this accident. The aim of the exercise was to demonstrate laser target marking, on Rubqhut Range, to a group of fairly senior Omanis. After watching several targets, usually old trucks, destroyed by accurately-delivered 500lb bombs from the Jaguars, there was a slightly different sounding explosion from above. I looked up to see a Jaguar disintegrating in flames and a parachute developing, almost alongside it. The VIP helicopter (725), flown by Ke.. Sm... (RIP) beat me to the scene of the crash, with CSOAF in the passenger seat. My passenger was the Salalah Station Commander (Ma... B..) and, as we landed next to the Jag pilot, I recall that he was standing next to his parachute, with his bonedome in his hand. We followed 725 to Salalah to the Force Base Hospital, and then returned to Rubqhut where CSOAF informed my passenger that, despite having witnessed the crash, he was to be President of the Board of Enquiry!

The Jag pilot was in hospital about 25 minutes after ejecting. However, when we went to visit him that evening, his first words to me were "what took you so f....ng long to reach me?" I met him again, about two years later, at a neighbours house at Valley and he had no recollection of having made that remark or of my visit. Glad that he went on to enjoy life.

BTW, there were no expat civilians present, as far as I recall!