PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2020, 10:29
pug

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy
Not just the FTOs though was it?

Every six months or so somebody would be on here breathlessly linking to an article claiming the world would be short of 100,000, 500,000 or 1,000,000 pilots within the next...and it wasn't just those who were actively looking at sitting in the seat that got carried away - there's no doubt some parents saw funding their nearest and dearest as a financial investment and were looking for a return, rather than a way of facilitating their offspring get into a personally rewarding career.
I fully take your point, and I think what Alex Whittingham said about confirmation bias is true - perhaps those articles being linked were the deal clincher? But in my experience seeing people coming through they all seemed to know the risks involved and were highly commercially aware. Perhaps some of the integrated students are different, I’ve not come across so many from that background to make a judgement.

I do have great sympathy for those at the end of their MPL training to find that their jobs are no longer there, or their mentored airline is no longer in existence! It can’t be denied that even the more ‘realistic’ members on this forum had been advocates of only training if tagged by an airline.

Hopefully in a couple of years things won’t be looking so bleak, where some airlines may struggle there may be new opportunities once confidence returns. I find it hard to believe that it won’t eventually improve.

Last edited by pug; 11th May 2020 at 10:41.