PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Life After Flying
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2020, 10:06
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fliegenmong

A lot of what you learn at the training school covers what to do if something goes wrong, there are certain situations where you can pass a signal at danger, especially on Absolute Block signalling, and certain times when you can't. You need to be able to working arrangements which can keep the railway running when parts of the system aren't working properly and also in an outright emergency, such as a derailment or a fire in a closed environment. Then there's traction knowledge, if the train breaks down in a fairly remote area or on a very busy section of track, the driver is probably going to be the best person to try and fix it.

Then there's practical handling, you have to memorise the speeds, braking points and the which signal indications you can take in normal working and which ones you can't, in Absolute Block territory it gets a bit more complex as well. You have to be consistent, in a day you might stop at 80-90 stations, that's nearly 20,000 per year when you work out the shift patterns etc. One mistake such as stopping short and opening the doors goes on your record forever. One incident per year is considered far too high, there's many drivers who've been out 15-20 years and never had an incident. Then you throw in train dispatch responsibilities now that the government wants rid of the guards, plus situations like low-adhesion and you do have to be on your toes. It's a repetitive job but it's not necessarily easy, once you're qualified you've got no-one next to you to spot any errors you may make either.

For those who don't like any of the suggestions made so far, the maximum age for off-the-street Fleet Air Arm pilots is now 34, though I don't know if they'd want people with extensive flying habits. Then the military lifestyle and commitments would suit some but not others.

Also, I reckon that when people get a taxi, they'd probably want one with a partition, so I wouldn't be surprised if the good old Hackney Cab started to regain some of the ground it lost to the "ride-sharing" world. The Knowledge is far from easy, so I hear, but there's apparently still quite a lot of money to be had. It's probably much easier to clean the passenger compartment between trips as well, when compared to a conventional car.

Last edited by Chris the Robot; 11th May 2020 at 10:16.