PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Admiral Woodward's attitude to the RAF intelligence product...?
Old 10th May 2020, 19:02
langleybaston

Received 718 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by BomberH
Off thread - but to close Langley's comment......

I worked under Woodward in 82 on Hermes.

I worked under the "Sandy" that I think he refers to in RAFG 92 until he left in 93 and RAFG became 2 Gp.

Different characters in every way.

During my arrival interview at RAFG as a new Stn Cdr, the 1* of the day (great bloke who will not take much identifying) and who was directly in my link to the 2* (not great) and 3* (worse - Sandy) told me that if I treated his (Sandy's) visit to my Station as if it was a Royal Visit, then I would get it about right.

Great advice - and he was spot-on.

I like Marmite - but, Langley, your apparent admiration for the man is not held commonly.

Never mind the curtains - what about all the china from the Berlin house??
In fairness I did not begin this digression but I will if I may run a little further with the ball. Regarding china, that in Air House was standard best RAF and I knew not of Berlin.
My perspective was as a civilian Head of Branch [Met.] in my last and best posting. Both SASOs I served were great blokes, albeit very different. I like a tight ship. Friday Air Staff briefings and monthly HoBs were much improved because slackness or incompetence was not tolerated. The church [St Boniface: I was RAF Churchwarden] was very well supported and the Mess lively.
What happened in RAF circles I knew not. I do know that the gentleman did not try to blag the gleaming vintage office barograph as he left. That was another senior officer [he did not succeed .....].
Enough from me on the subject, back perhaps to the good Admiral.