PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ronald Dallas Brett OBE - RAF career
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2020, 15:06
fauteuil volant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ronald Dallas Brett OBE - RAF career

I'm trying to piece together the career of Ronald Dallas Brett, the author of 'History of British Aviation 1908 - 1914'. I won't trouble you regarding his civilian career but someone might be able to help me with his RAF career.

My researches so far indicate that he joined the fledgling RAF on 8 July 1918. His service number may have been 180249. I do not know for how long, after this, he served in the RAF or what rank(s) he achieved whilst doing so. However it appears that he had left the RAF by 1928 for he was then the Hon. Secretary of the Cinque Ports Flying Club, Lympne, and practising as a solicitor in Hythe.

I presume that after active service with the RAF, he joined the RAFVR as he was called up, near to the start of WW2, and allocated to the Administrative & Special Duties Branch of the RAF. I can trace him being appointed Pilot Officer on 17 May 1940 and Flying Officer on 15 December 1940 but I haven't traced any subsequent promotions. Nor do I know when he left the RAF.

I wonder if anyone can contribute some flesh to clothe the bare bones of his RAF career as outlined above. If you can, I offer my thanks in advance and anticipation.

FV