PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure after V1
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2003, 05:44
calypso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is a bit of a digression but I have finally bitten and must reply to 411A. I apologise for hijacking the topic.

A pilot I know was called one night for an ambulance flight. The flight was to a non IFR airport to pick up an organ for a transplant. Upon arrival to the airfield the FO asked about the destination weather, the captain (also the chief pilot) replied that it wasn't brilliant but lets go (in fact the WX was below catI). They departed in haste (well it was an ambulance flight afterall). After a short 30 minutes flight they arrived at the destination aerodrome and sure enough the visibility was around 400m. As there was no published IFR approach the Capt. said that he will do a GPS approach of his own design (I have done this many times before....) on short final the AC hit a pylon and after several bounces came to rest inverted on top of a house (fortunately empty at the time). The Capt. died instantly, the Fo hanged inverted from his harness for 3 hours in the dark awaiting help, immersed in the smell of flowing Kerosene (he survived but he lost a leg). Reading his recollection of events I don't recall reading that he was comforted by knowing that the buck had stopped with the Capt..

I pray that if I ever show one hundredth of such foolishness there is somebody there to stop me. Yet with you 411A I Know it is a waste of time.

I feel better now. My apologies.

V1, ah yes...