PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin headed for another disaster, says REX chairman
Old 10th May 2020, 04:33
lc_461

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BNEA320
so my 2 cents .....

QF & VA had way too many staff getting paid too much, BUT QF had larger share of corporate market, who pay top dollar.

You only had to look around at airports, with many well paid staff, standing around doing stuff all between flights.

New QF will have less staff probably being paid less or paid same but with more required (not saying necessarily pilots will work more hours).

I would argue this isn't true for QF at least. On the ground at least many years of VR and retirements has left the workforce on lean 20hr per week part time contracts, where the pay is barely industry competitive. Many of the full time staff on old contracts have long sailed into the sunset. All new hires on the ramp for at least 5 years are hired by a separate wholly owned entity (QGS) with comparably poor salaries. The manpower allocations above and below the wing are the bare minimum. For example, FAs assist with boarding. Travel overseas and you might see 5 or 6 staff at the gate (or double that in cheap labour markets, I've counted 9 before in HKG!), whereas at least in Australia you would be lucky to see half that.