PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing Considers Developing a 757-PLUS Instead of New Mid-Market-Airplane Dubbed 797
Old 9th May 2020, 22:37
vikingivesterled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
I think this is what really hurt the 757-300 - it was simply too long for a single aisle. This made turn times horrible, and on-board service a nightmare - I sat near the back of a 757-300 one time, after we landed I timed it - it took 10 minutes after the door opened before there was even movement where I was sitting (I flew trans-Atlantic on a DC8-60 way back when - it had the same problem).
Direct operating costs per seat mile for the -300 were good, but it took so long to turn that it took a serious hit for productivity. Single aisle becomes problematic when you get much over 200 seats - twin aisle simply works better when you get much above 200 seats.
Not an issue if you are primary a non-airbridge airline that use both doors and serve from both ends using 2 trolleys and 4 crew, plus a microwaveing runner when more than 200 seats.
Even if you use airbridges occasionally you can still use the back door for unloading with stairs and back up again onto the airbridge.