PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing Considers Developing a 757-PLUS Instead of New Mid-Market-Airplane Dubbed 797
Old 9th May 2020, 21:35
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Wickerbill
Yes its journalistic bollocks though, isn't it?
Not sure about it being bollocks - particularly this bit:
Additionally, it was disliked by passengers. Records show that it took up to eight minutes longer to board the Boeing 757-300 compared to the -200 series, thanks to the very long aisle. This same aisle meant that onboard service was incredibly slow, and passengers were waiting forever to be served.
I think this is what really hurt the 757-300 - it was simply too long for a single aisle. This made turn times horrible, and on-board service a nightmare - I sat near the back of a 757-300 one time, after we landed I timed it - it took 10 minutes after the door opened before there was even movement where I was sitting (I flew trans-Atlantic on a DC8-60 way back when - it had the same problem).
Direct operating costs per seat mile for the -300 were good, but it took so long to turn that it took a serious hit for productivity. Single aisle becomes problematic when you get much over 200 seats - twin aisle simply works better when you get much above 200 seats.