PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "forced return" and forum formatting problem?
Old 9th May 2020, 17:04
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is an extreme example -
One
day
in
telly
tubby
land,

Just don't press Enter, Return, whatever you wish to call it until the end of a paragraph. I generally like two in that case.

If you have a poorly formatted document and you want rid of the extra New Lines (see another expression for the same thing, roughly) you can load it into say Microsoft Word and quite easily sort it out. I did this recently for a Guttenberg Project book that I wanted the computer to read to me. The damn Text to Speech software though that the extra line break (another new term, I hope someone is counting) at the end of EVERY line was a good place for a rest.

So what you can do is use MS Word and do a search and replace on every "paragraph mark" (+1 more) to solve the problem.

OOPS! Now there are NO line breaks anywhere. So instead:-

Paragraphs often have TWO new lines to distinguish them. Search and replace double new lines with some unique character combination, e.g ZZZZ. Then get rid of all the single new lines. Then replace the ZZZZ with doubles.

Word can show the Paragraph marks, spaces, tabs and other non-printing characters and can search and replace on them. - I'll put an image in the post.

The post I pasted into word likely has Hard Line Breaks instead of Paragraph marks because Unix and Windows use different characters and conventions for new lines. Pprune seems likely to be Unix Based I therefore speculate.

Finally - Notepad can introduce this very problem. I use it a lot and always have word wrap on and sometimes it puts extra line breaks in. It's beyond me. I just fix it if I have to.