PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasses and vertical reference
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2020, 08:40
bront

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a pain for sure. I have astigmatism, which means I need glasses for all distances. As I got older I also got hyperopia, or farsighted, this means I need glasses that correct for both to read or see stuff up close. For me, varifocals work fantastically, except for VR work, my main form of employment, because I end up trying to look through the bottom, short range, part of the lens. So I carry 2 sets of glasses, my normal day to day varifocals and a set of sunglasses with only the astigmatism corrected. The sunglasses work perfectly for VR, ok for the instruments and useless for reading, writing or maps. If I need to read or write I just swap glasses quickly, 5 seconds at most. I've been doing this for years and although it's not perfect it works pretty well. Usually VR flights don't require much map reading or writing anyway. I enquired about getting a set with the close range stuff on the top but my optometrist couldn't do that. Not sure how effective it would have been anyway.

On a few occasions I've forgotten and left my normal varifocals on and tried to pick up a load VR. It's not a huge drama, just have to really tilt my head down so that I can look through the top of the glasses but it's not something I could do on a regular basis as it's pretty uncomfortable.

The joys of old age!