PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasses and vertical reference
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2020, 03:24
Old Dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by to wander
First time poster.... so please be gentle .
I suffer from myopia, prescription is -1.50 in both eyes and have been stable for 20 years. Do lots of utility work including vertical reference (mostly 100-150 ft line) but also mixture of other things and occasional night VFR. Have always had great distance vision with glasses on, great close (reading and gauges) with glasses on or off. BUT haven’t been able to stop the clock ticking so as the five-oh approaches the close vision through my distance glasses is becoming a pain. It’s fine if I take them off but that’s not practical whilst flying. SO I’m toying with options and I’m looking for any advice/experience anyone may have had in this situation. So far I’m thinking of either
  • narrow frames that I can look under to read (and over for overhead switches/CB’s)
  • bifocals with the reading bit at the bottom being clear (as I need no correction for close up). I’m a little concerned that bi-vocals might be problematic as I tend to look through the lower part of my glasses for VR work.
  • multi or graduated focals but I’ve heard they can be tricky for Vertcal References
Thanks for any advice..... old man jokes welcome.
After 50 just look for BIG RED LIGHTS 😁

If there aren't any - don't worry about it, ..... although approach plates at night can be a bit of a bitch.🤔

Seriously, as someone who was once 20/15 I understand your pain.

For VFR I had two pairs, one for VR and one with bifocals for normal work.

For IFR I used bifocals with two windows, a little one on top to read the overhead panel and bigger ones at the bottom for the instruments.

The joys of growing old.😁

ps I DETESTED progressive glasses for everything.😤