PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russia marks VE day with 75 aircraft flypast
Old 9th May 2020, 02:40
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantom Driver
However my intention is not to debate politics or philosophy , but to ask a simple question about numbers ; not enough aircraft ? Pilots ? Funds to run the show ? Maybe somebody knows .
Looks like, at least on this side of the pond, it's all due to the Covid lock down. I got this email from the Commemorative Air Force (aka the Confederate Air Force before that name became non-PC):
Today is the 75th Anniversary of Victory in Europe (VE Day). We know so many of you were planning to be in Washington DC to watch the Arsenal of Democracy Victory Capital Flyover which has been postponed until September 25th. Despite not having the National flyover today as planned, WWII veterans around the world were recognized for their service on this momentous anniversary. A significant number of events (both physical and digital), along with news coverage, ensured that VE Day was acknowledged.
I also got a similar email from Smithsonian Air & Space (I occasionally donate money to both organizations - also the Collins Foundation although the report on their B-17 crash has me reconsidering Collins).
Wish I'd know about the Sept 25 flyover sooner - I had plans to go fly to Washington DC for vacation in April. I rescheduled everything to mid-September due to Covid, but I'll be leaving a week before the flyover...