PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russia marks VE day with 75 aircraft flypast
Old 8th May 2020, 22:38
racedo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy
Just a thought - given the that you folks invested a lot of effort in the Pacific Theatre wouldn't the celebration of VJ Day be perhaps more widely celebrated in your part of the world?

In the context of the thread I think VE day has (almost) been ignored in the UK until recent years. OTOH where I am now (France) it has for the last two decades I have been here and no doubt before marked by a small quiet commemoration at the local war memorial attended by a few locals of various nationalities and local politicians...

Scratch the surface and look at the local family histories and you find out (if you can get people to talk about them) that they are very complex with often a mix of grandparents/great grandparents who were French, Spanish (refugees from the Civil War), and yes, there's the odd German ancestor in the mix.....so it's seen as a day of European reconciliation/peace rather than Victory..
Some 20 plus years ago I flew for 3-4 days into Bordeaux and wandered off into Dordogne, best short break I ever had.

8th of May in Montigniac the road was closed so parked and walked to the memorial in advance of a small parade. Local gendarme (in his 30's I reckon) walked along and each lady he came to he removed his hat to say hello and speak with them. Judging by his manner and behavious it was something that did not look contrived or makey up just the normal politeness I have seen in rural France
I have seldom eaten as well on such a short break.

8th of May was not the end of the war everywhere as St Nazaire pocket did not surrender until 11th of May.