PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russia marks VE day with 75 aircraft flypast
Old 8th May 2020, 22:19
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tdracer
I've been expecting some sort of VE day flyover from the nearby Paine Field (four aircraft museums there, two of which (Flying Heritage and Historic Flight) have large collections of WWII flight worthy war birds.
Just a thought - given the that you folks invested a lot of effort in the Pacific Theatre wouldn't the celebration of VJ Day be perhaps more widely celebrated in your part of the world?

In the context of the thread I think VE day has (almost) been ignored in the UK until recent years. OTOH where I am now (France) it has for the last two decades I have been here and no doubt before marked by a small quiet commemoration at the local war memorial attended by a few locals of various nationalities and local politicians...

Scratch the surface and look at the local family histories and you find out (if you can get people to talk about them) that they are very complex with often a mix of grandparents/great grandparents who were French, Spanish (where we are we apparently had thousands of refugees from that Civil War), and yes, there's the odd German ancestor in the mix.....so it's seen as a day of European reconciliation/peace rather than Victory..