PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2020, 22:13
mikehallam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having watched the BBC TV programme broadcast from outside Buckingham Palace this evening I am conscious that without the likes of thousnads of Danny's and all our folk, we wouldn't be able to enjoy our todays.

The Queen said her piece nicely, and being born in 1926, she has adult memories of how things were.

I was taken at 6 1/2 to live in Wales to stay with a kindly little family in 1944 after my mother was put in touch with them as by then she felt with the Buzz Bombs too, it was more than enough risk. Anyway our own Infants school and others around here were closing so we kids had to go somewhere. Mother at that time worked in Walkers jewellers factory in Streatham, S. London, inspecting parts - for gunsights I believe.

Around post VJ Day I was brought back home and found that our road had great burnt patches at intervals along it from the VE Day party bonfires, but of course I missed out on that !

So in grateful memory I raise a glass to our forefathers, some of whom still are on this Earth - and I hope one or two still scan this forum.

TTFN, mike.