PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-2
Thread: Southampton-2
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2020, 13:29
commit aviation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the comment regarding LHR is probably key.

On many threads there is talk of retrenchment by the likes of BA (possibly) and Virgin back to LHR, and what, if any, impact this will have on the other London airports. Will there be a shift to LGW from STN, LTN and SEN and will they suffer as a result?
Right now, nobody really knows and as I have said elsewhere, until there is some kind of global policy on the way forward it is extremely tough for airlines, airports and associated third party industries that support them to plan their ways out.
However, I do think that the general mood music towards a reduced level of traffic for the next two to four years is probably correct. With EZY currently suggesting a reduction in fleet size for the next few years coupled with the recession we are now entering, their concentration will be on LGW and existing bases, not risking new ventures such as SOU.
Every crisis offers opportunities and the likes of Wizz are looking to expand their way out of this but what I see of EZY suggests they are not in that mindset right now. With Wizz looking to hoover up any spare slots at LGW my guess is they will look to protect that base at all costs, even through the downsizing of LTN, STN or SEN. They won't have spare aircraft for new routes any time soon.
Not looking to be anti-SOU. I like the airport, have used it in the past and believe it has a future. However, like the entire aviation sector, it will need to be patient and realistic in it's expectations for the next few years.