PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 8th May 2020, 09:47
ILS27LEFT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New IAG CEO will be IB CEO Luis Gallego

Originally Posted by B Fraser
I have no dog in this fight but am following it as a number of good mates are "Nigels" and galley crew..

"If the Government continues to dither over a new runway, then I’ll move my business elsewhere." If wee Willie Walsh is worried about runway capacity, why is he not expanding Gatwick rather than walking away ? The whiff of bullsh!t is getting stronger by the day.
This is why we must wake up before it will get too late, our lack of action can cause huge damage to the future of the UK aviation sector and especially BA/LHR/LGW etc. Willie Walsh will be replaced by the IB CEO Luis Gallego (in Sep instead of June due to Covid19), can't you see in what direction this will be going? Wake up. I hope that on Monday this issue will also come up. ES in charge of the UK National carrier just before Brexit is completed? No comment.

I personally and very strongly believe that the same cost cutting demanded by Alex Cruz & Co. can be achieved (If really necessary in the future) through a combination of voluntary redundancies, unpaid leave, early retirement, more part time contracts.
If the crisis will get prolonged into 2023 (as predicted by BA/IAG Nostradamus) then less working hours for all would be the best solution to protect jobs. Moving to part time/reduced salaries would be much fairer than ruining thousands of families and individuals in a post Covid 19 market as the present BA plan, unemployment will skyrocket (especially in travel/aviation related roles, at least until the market will recover) and finding an alternative job for those in aviation might be extremely difficult hence I am confident the "part time" option would be the best solution (again, only if necessary which nobody knows for sure at this early stage of the crisis).