PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Admiral Woodward's attitude to the RAF intelligence product...?
Old 8th May 2020, 09:43
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
It’s covered in the Nimrod Boys book. I think it’s is the section by Dick Straw. A crew reported spotting Type 42s, causing consternation in the Task Force. What had happened - and here I summarise, probably in terms which will have Nimrod crew thinking ‘eh?’ - was that a pair of South Korean/Taiwanese trawlers or factory ships turned out to have an almost identical return to a T42. Woodward grumbled that the T42s were known to be tied up alongside, and what were the RAF up to? (I imagine that his grumpiness might well have been fed by the CO of Hermes).

As the Nimrod crew pointed out, it might have been handy had this information been passed on to them before they took off, and they would then have been able to conclude that the contact was either a T42 with a warp drive or something else...

There is, somewhere in the files, a polite but grumpy note by Admiral Fieldhouse pointing out that the dissemination of information might be a bit better (although IIRC, this refers to the Chiefs having been waiting for imagery of Black Buck One for over a week).