PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some Positives in NZ
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2020, 03:44
mostlytossas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as intra state and interstate travel for tourists will come down to airfare prices mainly I think. Many people will choose to drive and take the extra time especially with petrol prices so low at the moment. It is safer than sitting with 100's of others both on board and in airports.
Will be also up to hotels,car hire costs etc to also add into the equation. Will traders try and recoup lost $'s by jacking up prices? Will more modest holidays with caravan or tent be the go?
Just before the lock down I took 3 family members to KI for a few days as they had been going through a tough time after the fires. We flew in on our own aircraft. Hired a car and stayed in a local motel,dined out etc. I was quite surprised at the prices over there. They certainly did nothing to help themselves. The very basic motel was priced at least 30% more than equivalent in Adelaide. So too the hire car which only allowed 200km /day before a per km charge kicks in. You don't get far in 200km whereas most places are unlimited km.
Needless to say I won't be hurrying back. Will be interesting to see if this spreads around the country and if so don't be surprised if few come.