PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Aerodrome Mk III
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2020, 04:13
mgahan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew it was not Bacau because when I did the inspection there and gathered data for the IAP design I was told by an old guy who had been at the airport for years that "you Australian were responsible for the development of Bacau and two other runways in the 1960's when you purchased the F111." White coral strip which, like all the others the Russians built in that era, will still be there in good condition when the dinosaurs return. Not a good time to go there but take a look at K100 north of Mogadishu if you get the chance - same structure and same great surface after many, many years.

Very obviously a military airfield at Bacau with ORPs and quick access taxiways from the military side.

When we were at Bacau in 2000 the lunch choices were very difficult: Great curry with the Pakistani's on their side of the runway or excellent freshly cooked Thai food from their sustainable gardens near the tower.

We suggested changing Bacau to be the POE for the Country with both a good sea and air port but memories of the massacre there were still fresh and will linger for many years..

MJG.