PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Luton-9
Thread: Luton-9
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2020, 21:04
gilesdavies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even though I wrote the other day Luton could possible face issues if other airlines move to Gatwick, but Im not so sure now after thinking about it.

While Wizz might be vying for slots at Gatwick, I am sure easyJet will put up a battle too and ensure they get an opportunity to further expand too and maintain their fortress...

Even if Wizz did grab a load of slots, people need to remember they have over 200+ aircraft on order and these need to be deployed somewhere, I'm not sure Luton would be that badly affected, and possibly run simultaneous from both airports. Also Gatwick boasts the longer runway which could accomodate a London to Abu Dhabi route, with the new A321XLRs on order and you never know some US flights too?!

I'm not sure a 239 seat A321XLR loaded up for a 7-8 hour flight could take off from Luton?

If easyJet were to expand further at LGW, they have deferred new Airbus deliveries for the moment, so would need to be sourced from elsewhere in the fleet network... I wonder if it could be used as an opportunity to consolidate London from four bases to three? The Stansted base in recent years seems to have fallen out of favour, and has been stagnent for years and if I recall has been reduced in recent time with the odd Airbus being moved to Southend...

Would it make sense to close the Stansted base, move the odd route which isn't currently flown from LTN or SEN to either, and move the STN aircraft to south of the river?

While we all cast pur opinions, it could be possible BA refuse to sell their slots and instead start low cost operations with their IAG brands Vueling or Level. Also never write off Jet2, they might swoop into LGW, however they have nearly had all the new Boeing 737-800's delivered now, but I guess there will be a big market of second hand aircraft available soon.