PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a pilot After COVID-19
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2020, 19:35
portsharbourflyer
Educated Hillbilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the industry could follow the FAA way and bring in an hours requirement.

The pre-JAA CAA self improver route required 700 hours to hold a CPL (the BCPL was obtained at 150 hours and that was used for Aerial work or Instructing to get the hours), that originally was the key advantage of the Integrated course it allowed you to hold a full CPL at 200 hours without needing to obtain 700 hours. However in the CAA days the Integrated course (or whatever it was known as in those days, CAP509 course I believe, sightly before my time) was mainly limited to sponsored Airline students. So the UK had an hours requirement in the past so why not bring that back.

The FAA have the 1500 hour rule in place. While I will agree there may not be much relevance of GA flying to Airline flying, the FAA situation has shown the 1500 hour rule led to an artificial shortage, but it did nearly double First Officer salaries at Regional Airlines.

The other advantage of having an hours limit is it removes the wannabe Airline Pilot who doesn't really have a true passion for flying; I am certain there are a small number who are only interested in flying airliners who will soon be put of by the idea of two years or so of instructing or glider towing.