PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Boeing 737 use of the Roller Coaster method of manual stab trim
Old 6th May 2020, 18:19
BluSdUp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Identical system!

Dear David
How are You doing in these Corona times?
A bit of sarcasm on my previous post.
The system is identical minus the MCAS computer and associated electric wiring AND the new Cutout switches.As fare as I recall.
So, I would not be surprised if the old roller-coaster maneuver will be mandatory in future 737-800 training.
What the 737-800 has going for it is the statistics!

To me it was interesting to see the ABSOLUTE need to reduce speed to gain control, unfortunately I did not have a chance to fly the full envelope and I do forget the CofG and were we started on the trim scale.
When I did my 737 SFI in 2003 the Rudder Hardover was still fresh and we did the relevant recovery and I remember thinking " WTF, This better not happen at low level!"
Fortunately they fixed the problem.
The MCAS in total isolation might not be enough to permanently ground the MAX , BUT, paired with the useless manual trim wheel AND the never-ending row of old sins popping up leads me to think the MAX need a aerodynamic replacement form any MCAS , or its end of the road!
Strangely silent it has been!
Remember.
Boeing has at least 2 if not 3 year until ANY of the new MAXs is need now.
Why would Canada, EASA China or FAA for that matter use one more calorie on this until Boeing can prove it perfect without the added MCAS risk!
For that risk is unacceptable, trust me, the poor Ethiopians were doomed once past ca 260kts and no thrust reduction considered.
A horrible horrible way to go,,,

Lastely
Never understood why Boeing never , in parallel, developed some strakes or whatever it is called, F16 style or like the Beech1900D!

Regards
Cpt B